I Attracted My Dream Job!
I want to first thank Rhonda Byrne and The Secret team for all the joy you’ve brought to me and to the world. You are so AWESOME! I’m also grateful for all the stories shared here that inspired me to keep believing in my faith before I could see it.
Now it’s the time for me to share my story. I hope it can also inspire you or give you some tips on how to attract your dreams.
I had worked for a place for 5 years after my graduation. The job was OK for a while but after a new supervisor came in it turned became a bad one. I decided to leave, but I didn’t want to just have another job. Instead, I wanted my dream job, a job I’ve always wanted ever since I graduated but never took actions to chase. After reading The Secret, The Power and practicing The Magic, these are the things I did at the time:
1. I was really unhappy at my work every day. Instead of feeling sad, frustrated and angry I chose to focus on the positive side of the situation. I listed all the things I was grateful for in my work. The fact that I have a job, my very big sunny office with beautiful decorations, my good retirement plan, my couch that allowed me to take naps every day, my old friends at work, and the fulfillment of helping people. I even felt grateful for the flexible schedule, month-long vacations, and wonderful paid training that I used to enjoy and was taken away by the new supervisor. I felt grateful that I had many years of these benefits.
2. I distracted myself by developing a new hobby. I started to go to the NBA games and felt crazily happy and excited there. I allowed myself to be a little child at the game, cheer loud and really have fun. Whenever I felt super excited, I shouted out that I am so happy and grateful that I got my dream job, yeah! Thank you, universe! Since it was so loud there, nobody knows that I was shouting for something totally irrelevant. Ha ha! I also started to ski. And whenever I was on the top of the mountain and felt wonderful and joyful, I shouted the exact same words.
3. I had two ways to go to work every day. One way is several miles shorter, but I chose the longer way because I could pretend I was going to my dream job to work. Every day I said to myself that I’m going to work at my dream job place while taking that road. Of course I still had to drive to my old place. At the point where I had to turn to the other direction, I continued driving on the path that led me to my dream job mentally. (Be careful if you want to use that technique.) In my mind, I imagined myself going down the road, parking my car, opening the front door of the building, taking the elevator, going to my own office and turned on my computer.
4. I told my friend that I am waiting for my dream job and that “Although there is no opening now, I’m creating the job for me.”
5. I went to my dream job’s building and took many pictures. I used one of them as my background on iPhone. I also started to tell people that I might leave the place soon.
I did all this crazy stuff for about 8 months. Nothing really happened but I didn’t give up. I didn’t apply for any other jobs either. I know a girl who works part-time at my dream job. I had a lunch with her and asked whether they have openings. She told me no and said they almost never have openings.
However, in the 9th month I got an email from that girl saying that they might have one opening coming up soon. She said it was not because anybody left, but they got a funding to hire a new full-time staff member. All the staff there were very surprised because this had never happened before. The funding was always very tight. They were trying to figure out what kind of person they wanted to add to their team.
I immediately knew this job was created for me by the universe. I started to prepare. I almost used all my spare time studying, organizing what I learned in the field, doing research on the job and reading books on resume and interview. One month later, the job was officially opened.
They asked exactly what I could offer in the job description. My very unique strengths and experiences were wanted. I knew that the job was mine!
I soon turned in my carefully prepared resume and unsurprisingly I was offered a phone interview. I happened to have a half day off during a conference that day which allowed me to have a perfect phone interview at home without any distractions. They ranked me high again and offered me a final four hour interview with everybody on the team (about 30 people). I was very nervous but I had my faith. I studied so hard every day preparing for it. I read their annual report from last year and memorized every person’s name from the website. I even Googled each person and read their Facebook pages. I created my fake name card. I also printed out their web page and put my photo and introduction on it. I came here to read one Secret Story about jobs every day.
During that period, I also got a wonderful idea from the universe. I wanted to prepare some extra things for them. A presentation and a suggestion paper both in the field they are most interested in. I did related presentations before so editing that PowerPoint file wasn’t hard for me. But it took me two weeks to do the research on how to improve their work and write my paper. My husband kept saying I was wasting my time and energy but my intuition told me that I was not.
The day before the interview I called to make sure everything was good. Shockingly, they told me they sent out the interview agenda 2 weeks ago through email. I was panicked because I never received it. They offered to reschedule with me but I told them I was OK because I was prepared for the presentation they asked for! It only took me 2 hours to rehearse it. I still had my research paper as my extra to bring to the interview.
I was confident and calm at the interview. It went so well. My presentation and research paper deeply impressed them. I think these are exactly the things that got me my job. I later found out that one of my final competitors was actually my first supervisor who is great and super experienced in the field. I would have freaked out if I knew I was competing with her. I think I got the job simply because it was what universe created for me answering my request!
I’ve worked for my dream job for almost 6 months now. The job has everything that I asked for and beyond. The kind of work I LOVE to do and am good at doing, best boss, very supportive supervisors, best insurance and retirement benefits, long and flexible vacations and paid day offs, super cool coworkers. It is so rare that all of them are wonderful, great people with no exceptions! Good pay and career development, stability, reputation, office to do extra practice and many other benefits that I had never even imagined!
Now I am taking the road that I imagined to work every day. Sometimes it’s hard to believe that I am no longer pretending it now. It is real! I am so grateful for my dream job every single day! It brings joy and peace to my life and allows me to touch other lives in very meaningful ways! I love my job and I wish you find the dream job that you love!